If you become aware of a fire or hear a fire alarm, the first priority is getting out safely. Once clear of the building and in a safe location, call the fire, police or Hitec.

Keep a fire extinguisher easily available, ideally a 4.5kg cylinder, if two storeys have one on each level.

  • Have a family meeting and plan the safest and quickest escape method. Here are some points to mention:
    • Stay low to the ground when escaping
    • Feel all doors when trying to escape. If the door feels hot, DO NOT open it.
    • If you see smoke coming from underneath the door, DO NOT open it.
    • Keep stairways and exits clear of clutter and storage.
    • Agree on a meeting place outside of your home to make sure everyone is safe and accounted for.
    • When escaping a fire, close all doors behind you. It keeps the fire from spreading.
  • Prepare an emergency kit for your home.
  • Do a home safety inspection. Make sure all smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are working. Also, remove and eliminate anything that can cause a fire hazard.
  • Always sleep with your bedroom door closed, it keeps smoke out of your room and in case of a fire, you have more time to escape.
  • Use a fire extinguisher to put out small fires. If the source of the fire is not electrical or chemical, water can also be used to extinguish it.
  • Do not try to put out a fire that is getting out of control. If you’re not sure you can control it, get everyone out of the house and phone for help.
  • Smother oil and grease fires by putting a lid over the flame if it is burning in a pan.
  • If your clothes catch on fire, stop, drop, and roll until the fire is extinguished. Running will only make the fire burn faster.
  • If you cannot escape, hang a white or light-colored sheet outside the window, alerting firefighters to your presence.
  • If you’re cooking, keep paper towels and drying cloths far from the oven/ stove. And, don’t leave anything unattended.
  • Cool a burn by running cold water on it for 10 to 15 minutes. Never put butter or grease on a burn. If the burned skin blisters or is charred, see a doctor asap. Never use ice.
  • Post emergency telephone numbers by the phone including doctors and other family members you can go to in times of distress.
  • Place matchboxes and lighters in a safe place away from children.
  • Place candles at least four feet away from curtains, drapes, and blinds. In case of a power outage, be very careful where and how you place candles. Use a flashlight instead if possible.
  • When the holidays come around, watch out for plugging too many light cords into one extension cord.
  • Lastly, don’t waste time getting dressed or collecting valuables. Your life is the most valuable thing. If there is ever a fire in your home—just get out as quickly and as safely as you can.

Get the news first

Join our email list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.

It's free! Click here and subscribe now.

You have Successfully Subscribed!