Minutes of a meeting of the executive committee of BRRAG held on 1 July 2022 at 14 Krogscheepers street Boesmansriviermond and via zoom

1. Welcome

Lӧtter Wepener welcomed those present.

2. Attendance register and apologies

In attendance: Lӧtter Wepener, Jacques de Wit, Sarel Marais, Gibbon Schickerling (Via Zoom), Willie Enright (via Zoom), Robbie Schroeder, Sue Muirhead, Wanda Nezar, Ferenc Toth.
Apologies: Dalien Pachonick, Elvira Ramraj.

3. Confirmation of previous minutes

The minutes of the meeting of 29 April 2022 were approved, and the chairman authorized to sign them..

4. Correspondence

Ndlambe still has not acted on the fallen tree in Salie Street after 2 requests, Jacques to follow up.

The no-charge lease for the storage area was received and it is valid for a period of three years.

Robbie is dealing with the signs that encourage people to pick up dog mess.

Request was sent to Ndlambe for an additional speed hump in Ocean View Drive and added to the scheduled for road maintenance also provided to Ndlambe. Jacques to follow up.

A letter sent by Jacques to Ndlambe requesting a skip for refuse remains unanswered and was followed up. Jacques to follow up.

A letter sent by Jacques requesting that the town drainage be attended to resulted in a response that an attempt will be made to attend thereto. Noted that some work was done in Riversbend but not the old Village yet. Jacques to follow up.

Ferenc will furnish Lotter with info regarding the dangerous placing of the kiosk at RB so that the matter can be pursued. This must also be brought to the attention of SANRAL.

5. Legal matters

The tennis court lease renewal is being awaited after a Ward meeting.

Sarel has submitted an application for the new proxy and the duplicate registration certificate for the trailer.

The municipality is in the process of issuing a “notice of participation” regarding the caravan park. Robert to talk to Sandy at the Tourism office in Port Alfred and also to the lady who is running the Willows in PA.

Staff: Sarel, assisted by Elvira will register BRRAG for UIF so that the staff contributions can be paid directly by BRRAG to SARS. Robbie will arrange for the staff members to take 15 working days’ leave, each.

The SDSG constitution will soon be finalised, and it will be registered as PBO and NPO to deal with matters of communal concern that fall outside the scope of the existing organisations.
A bylaw officer has been appointed and attempts will be made to get him involved in our area. Ferenc has set up a meeting with the officer.

6. Finance

The Financials as at the end of June were noted and approved. Jacques submitted a formal request to Ndlambe for funding of green refuse removal for the new financial year commencing in July 2022. Jacques will contact Fanie Fouche again for a further donation in respect of green refuse removal. If we do not receive monetary compensation, BRRAG will cease removing green refuse and inform members accordingly.
Gibbon will look into insurance for public liability and revert.

The Christmas market will be held on 23 December and arrangements will be finalised at the next meeting. Ferenc to attempt to arrange a fire brigade.

Consideration to be given to a Father Christmas and an evening communal braai. Sue will do some planning in conjunction with Jack Dell and Tourism to be advised of the event.

RESOLVED that an amount of R 5 000 be paid to Jacques to cover petrol disbursements incurred by him.

RESOLVED that accounts be sent out to members after the financial yearend (30 November).

7. Village Maintenance

Robbie reported that all is going well, and the staff members are attending the usual matters. Green refuse removal is being undertaken on a weekly basis. BRRAG cleared water drainage in the old Village.
Ferenc reported that Ndlambe performed some clearing in Riversbend which is ongoing. The new storage area is in use.

Pete Andrews has refurbished the boardwalk. Low hanging branches in RB were trimmed and Ferenc requested assistance to open up some of the cameras in RB.
Robbie will commence with road painting at the end of July.

Jacques sent a letter with a survey of road signs and maintenance of road signs required to Director Booysen who acknowledged receipt of the request.

8. Riversbend matters

Riversbend Robbie will attend to a few items such as green refuse removal and tree trimming. The sub-standard houses (park homes) will be discussed between Jacques and Michael Wilmot.
Sue will provide stand numbers to the Chairman.

9. Village Infrastructure

Ablution blocks: The public ablution block at the town hall is in a terrible condition. Jacques to follow up with Fanie to unblock and make required repairs.

Water Management: Jacques reported on the continued water management issues dealt with by the SDSG Water (Service Delivery Support Group). Engagement by the TTT (Technical Task Team) with Ndlambe, Amatola and DWS was ongoing.

An action plan is in place and managed actively by the TTT to restore water production at the plant. The SDSG also had the ear of the Minister, which resulted in direct involvement of the newly appointed Amatola Board Chairlady.

Parties are working closely with the chair of Amatola Water who has made the CEO directly responsible to have the water situation restored by the end of July 2022.

Graham Cowley was appointed as Plant manager (6-month contract) which should assist with the implementation of the recommended interventions and proper running of the plant.

The main issue was to get sufficient raw water of the desired quality to the plant, and to get all water production elements on line.

New filters for the RO are on site, a critical pump ordered from Dubai is still being awaited.

Environmental permission is required to perform testing and installation of a new Raw Water Extraction Well Point system and causes delays.

Jacques spearheaded the implementation of corrective actions as reported in the TTT Social and Environmental Report issued to Ndlambe and Amatola.

Ndlambe received R80M grant which will be used to upgrade the Ndlambe water reticulation system. It is unfortunate that some of the money is not allocated for the production of water, which is the critical aspect.
Risk mitigation: Appointment of alternative and additional water providers are being investigated in close collaboration with Ndlambe and SDSG to ensure adequate water provision for Ward 3&4 in the future.

Tennis courts: The tennis court fences are in poor condition and Robbie will obtain quotes for repair work.

Sanitation: Communication was received that Estuary Care did not want to drive the sewage spillages into the Rivers. It is clear that the sewage systems are not functioning with a rating of between 15-18% received for Ward 3&4, and comprise a major threat to the community and estuaries.

The SDSG will drive the sanitation issue with Ndlambe and DWS. Willie Enright obtained a green drop report and funded a reed bed expert report, which will be made available to Ndlambe.

Ndlambe expressed its interest to establish and participate in a work committee similar to the Water Management Committee to address the sanitation issue. Exploratory discussions commenced and formalization of the work group is in progress.

10. Security

Ferenc advised that there is a strong relationship amongst all security associations and that crime in RB and BRM is very low. Kenton has serious security problems. Night Watch has the support of BRRAG, KOSRA and Chamber of Business and Tourism. BRRAG will place the call for NW funds in the next newsletter.
Amatola is looking at installing cameras at the Dias wells.

11. Firefighting

It was noted that there is sufficient fire equipment in the area.

12. Website

Gibbon reported that the Facebook page is doing well and improving all the time.

A WhatsApp group for paid up BRRAG members was created and will be used for communication with members.

13. Newsletter

A newsletter will go out after articles from committee members are received by the chair.

14. Estuary Care

It was noted that Willem Nel, has not done an audit of buoys in the River and that illegal buoys have not been removed. Ferenc will attempt to obtain a drone photograph for Robbie who will then contact Mark Dixon about the problem.

Kenton dune matter
The dune issue is driven by EC as vehicle in close association with BRRAG, KOSRA, Kenton/Boesmans Chamber and Tourism and Merryhill that formed an Action Group Excellent support was received for the petition and for the fund raising against the KSDNA proposed plan. More support for the Action Group and its proposed plan is received continuously. MER, a leading marine and environmental consultancy, as well as a leading environmental legal counsel were appointed. MER did an onsite visit during June 2022 and considered all input received, to issue a report, which is imminent. The report will be provided to Ndlambe and DEDEAT to oppose the KSDNA proposal, which will be followed by litigation should it be required. Communication will be issued as the matter proceeds.

15. Ndlambe Ratepayers’ Forum

Our budget input was furnished by Jacques to the NRF, the latter which did submit a combined document to Ndlambe.

16. Ward Committee

We are awaiting a ward committee meeting where the tennis court lease will feature.

17. Chamber & Tourism

Due to some confusion regarding the Chamber and funds that may be available for the Boesmans entrance structure, Jacques and Lotter met with Sandy Birch (Tourism manager), Jo Wilmot (Tourism office Kenton) and Michael Wilmot. The structure of the Chamber and Tourism was explained a sort of PPP and that funds were received from Ndlambe and sometimes Sarah Baartman municipalities. Membership fees are payable. It was noted that the Tourism ladies can assist with a number of matters and already offered to assist with obtaining gratis assistance with the design of the entrance structure as well as the SANRAL approval, if required. Committee members were encouraged to liaise with and make use of the Tourism office. We were invited to nominate a representative on the Tourism Board / Chamber Committee. Jacques will attend meetings.

18. IDP

Nothing to report.

19. General

The 2 sign boards which Ndlambe obtained will soon be erected.

20. Closure

The next meeting will be held on 16 September 2022.



Get the news first

Join our email list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.

It's free! Click here and subscribe now.

You have Successfully Subscribed!